Monday, September 12, 2016

September 2016!!

The Month of September brings  three films to review. The first film is "The Disappointments Room".





RunTime: 92 Minutes.

Starring: Kate Beckinsale, Lucas Til and Michaela Conlin




 Plot-"A mother and her young son release unimaginable horrors from the attic of their rural dream home.".


My Thoughts 

This movie came to my attention right before it came out, I did not plan on seeing this until recently. The plot seemed semi interesting and I thought i would give it a chance. BIG MISTAKE, this movie was boring and when i say boring i mean literally nothing happened interesting for the entire run time. The acting was actually decent and I have no complaints on that front the entire cast was solid overall. but the plot that seemed interesting to me before I saw the movie played out so badly over the length of it. the attempts at being scary were executed wrong, the movie also tried to be suspenseful which again played out badly. it is rare when i see a movie where nothing happened of note. it was like the director was going through the motions and just made a movie to make it with no real pint whatsoever. The film didn't try to be anything other than a waste of  92 minutes of my life. Honestly I don't want to talk about this film anymore, I say skip it and i don't recommend to watch this movie for any reason whatsoever.

Rating

Skip this film it is the definition of boring, The acting is the only positive 5.0\10!!!





The Next film to review is "The Magnificent Seven"



RunTime: 133 Minutes

Starring: Denzel Washington, Chris Pratt and Ethan Hawke

Plot

"Seven gun men in the old west gradually come together to help a poor village against savage thieves".

My Thoughts

 I am a big fan of Denzel Washington (he is one of my all time favorites) I make it a point to see any of his films when they come out. I was somewhat excited about this film, I had not seen Denzel in a western type movie before, so that intrigued me. After seeing the film I can say it was decent, not a great film  but it was worth seeing once. The acting for me overall was good with Denzel Washington, Vincent D'Onofrio and Ethan Hawke standing out to me for their portrayals as members of the magnificent seven, I also liked Peter Sarsgaard's performance as Bart Bogue the main villain in the film. Chris Pratt's performance for me was underwhelming, I did not like him in this film at all, he was the jokester of the the seven and i didn't find him funny (The more I see of him in films the more i am beginning to dislike him as an actor). the other members of the seven did decent jobs at what was required of them for their roles in the film, no complaints I will say Byung-hun Lee and Manuel Garica-Rulfo while not having a lot of speaking lines (they both have heavy accents so maybe that contributed to that) I did enjoy both of their characters a lot especially Byung-hun lee, his character was very unusual to be in this group considering the time period. in terms of artistic fighting style he was my favorite. One more performance that i did not like was Haley Bennett she was the main female lead in the film, I have only seen her in one of other film (The Equalizer coincidentally also had Denzel Washington in it) and she was poor for me in that movie as well, so far not impressed with the little sample size of her talent I have seen. The plot of the film is something most viewers have sen before its a tale of revenge, redemption and humanity when working together can overcome the most daunting tasks. I didn't have a problem with this plot and it played out pretty well on screen over the 133 minute run time, I will say the film got boring in some parts but overall it was a decent plot, that i mostly enjoyed and it kept me engaged. The action set pieces in the film were well done, when the fighting gets going its very fun and fast paced and a joy to see on the big screen, I commend the team who setup all of the action parts of this film, they were well done. One issue I had for this film, which is always a worry for me with a film with a main cast this big was character development a few of the seven I felt didn't get as much of a backstory as other, for the msot part the characters all had a backstory and the viewer knew why they joined the group, but I wanted to really feel for all the characters and a few of them I didn't have that connection that I had for others of the group. Rotten Tomatoes gave this film a 62% saying "The Magnificent Seven never really lives up to the superlative in its title -- or the classics from which it draws inspiration -- but remains a moderately diverting action thriller on its own merits". Overall I agree this film wasn't magnificent by any stretch, it had a few flaws , but  it was a solid  action movie set in the old west, that had overall solid acting, a decent plot line that has been seen before, but wasn't stale. I reccomend to see this if you are a fan of any of the massive cast or like action films or the old west time period.

Rating

Solid Film, worth seeing 7.5/10!!!!



The Last freilm to review is"Miss Peregrin's Home For Peculiar Children"



RunTime:127 Minutes

Starring: Eva Green, Samuel L. Jackson and Asa Butterfield

Plot

"When Jacob discovers clues to a mystery that spans different worlds and times, he finds Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. But the mystery and danger deepen as he gets to know the residents and learns about their special powers".

My Thoughts 

I will start by saying I have not read any of the books in this series, but the trailer looked interesting and I decided to give this film a try. I will say this film did a good job of giving the viewer a good overall feel of what is going on in this film and what everyone's roles are. The acting for me was okay, not great or terrible but okay, none of the cast really stood out to me which I expected, I will say Eva Green's performance for me was weak. I have seen a few of her films and she has been decent in most of them,m this film for me was probably her worst acting Job I have seen from her so far. The plot once the movie got going made sense and I was able to follow it pretty weak, which is always a plus especially for a movie based on books that the viewer may have never seen.  The special effects for me were a huge letdown in this film, the budget for this film was $110 Million, but honestly I couldn't tell the budget was that high, the set pieces looked good in the film but for the many characters that required CG effects it looked no better than a SYFY channel movie to me which really took away from the overall experience which was disappointing for me. I have seen my fair share of Tim Burton films and I admire how his films usually have a dark theme to them, even films that maybe not be dark in nature once he gets his hands on them he turns them that way and transforms them into what he wants. that was not the  case for this film, It didn't have a Tim Burton feel to me at all other than the fact that he made a cameo in it. That maybe my fault for going in with certain expectations from a movie directed by Tim Burton, but regardless this film in terms of the tone and feel of it was not what I expected at all. Rotten Tomatoes gave this film a 65% saying "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children proves a suitable match for Tim Burton's distinctive style, even if it's on stronger footing as a visual experience than a narrative one". Overall This film wasnt bad it was worth seeing once, and I do hope they make movies for the other two books as I am interested to see where the storyline goes from here, but there was some things about this film that took away from the expereicne as a whole.

Rating

Decent  Film, if you are a fan of the books or fantasy films I recommend, if you are a fan of Tim Burton do not come into this expecting the normal Tim Burton feel to the film. 7.0/10!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment